Contact us on

020 7611 4848

email us


Arrange a Callback

Ask a Question

Converting a civil partnership to a marriage

Friday, 6 January 2017

AdobeStock_90025410In the UK, couples who are in a civil partnership are now able to convert their partnership to a marriage and there are a number of reasons why it can be beneficial.

First of all, in some countries civil partnerships are not recognised in the way they are in the UK. This means that if you are living abroad you might not enjoy the same rights as a married couple.

Being in a civil partnership can also present other issues in daily life such as being forced to state your sexuality on forms by declaring that you are part of a civil partnership. Many situations also force you to refer to your partner as your civil partner, rather than a husband or wife. In general, people often feel that there is a feeling of segregation around being in a civil partnership, which is not present when you are married.

How to convert a civil partnership to a marriage

If you decide to convert your civil partnership into a marriage in the UK then you are given the opportunity to hold another ceremony. However, there may be restrictions as to where you can have the marriage, as some religious buildings choose not to host same-sex marriages in their buildings. You can choose to have the ceremony take place at a registry office, or an approved religious building.

You and your partner will be required to attend and you will need to bring identification. By law you are required to bring your birth certificate, passport or driving license with a photo card, together with a recent utility bill, bank statement or other proof of address. If you are unsure of which identification is acceptable then you should seek the advice of the registry office or religious building where your ceremony will take place.

In civil partnerships there is no need to say vows; however this is required with a marital ceremony. You will need to sign a declaration in the presence of a registrar that documents your willing to convert your partnership into a marriage.

Here at Rollingsons, our team of family lawyers have extensive experience with civil partnerships and same sex marriages. We offer a friendly approach, answering any questions you have and identifying objectives, offering you a clear path to move forward. To arrange an initial consultation with one of our team please call us today on 0207 7611 4848.

No comments:

Post a Comment