Contact us on

020 7611 4848

email us


Arrange a Callback

Ask a Question

What to do if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver

Thursday, 29 January 2015

road-asphalt-with-yellow-stripe-1434678-mBeing involved in a road traffic accident can be a very traumatic experience, especially if the accident was not your fault. However, it can be made even worse if you discover that the other driver is uninsured or if the other driver is untraced having left the scene of the accident without exchanging details with you or you are unfortunate to be the victim of a hit and run then there are ways though in which you can still recover compensation with the help of a solicitor.

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau compensation schemes

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident with a driver who is uninsured then you may still be able to make a claim for compensation through the Motor Insurer’s Bureau.

The Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB) is set up to deal with compensation claims for people who have been involved in a road traffic accident through no fault of their own, but are unable to claim compensation from the other driver’s insurance company as that driver is not covered. The MIB is funded by a levy which is applied to motor insurance policies when they are taken out.

Before compensation can be paid by the MIB they must investigate your claim and be satisfied that the other party was at fault and responsible for the accident. Whilst you can make a claim to the MIB without legal representation most people prefer to seek the advice and assistance of a solicitor to prepare and submit the application form and to advise on medical evidence and issues of liability raised by the MIB. A solicitor can also ensure you obtain maximum compensation for the injuries and losses you have sustained through no fault of your own.

Although measures are in place to prosecute individuals who drive without insurance and to seize and scrap vehicles in an effort to deter people from driving without insurance regrettably, some people still choose to drive without the benefit of insurance cover. If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver you can contact our specialist team of personal injury solicitors for an initial consultation by calling 020 7611 4848.

No comments:

Post a Comment